My favorite meal of the day, and the most important is breakfast! I couldn’t function without having at least a bowl of cereal in the morning. “People skip breakfast thinking they’re cutting calories, but by mid-morning and lunch, that person is starved,” says Milton Stokes, RD, MPH, chief dietitian for St. Barnabas Hospital in New York City. “Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling and bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure.” Eating early in the day keeps us from “starvation eating” later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism!
The right breakfast foods can help you concentrate, give you strength and even help you maintain a healthy weight. This recipe is very easy, healthy, can be made ahead of time and put in the refrigerator or freezer for the next day or week! Warm up a bowl of this Breakfast Hash in the morning to get your day started the right way!
Calories per serving (1 cup): 130 calories
1 bag of Ore-ida hasbrowns (cubed potatoes)
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
2-3 handfuls of baby spinach
1/2 cup red onion
1/2 tsp. chile powder
1 cup sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Spray bottom of pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cook potatoes on medium for 5 minutes (covered).
2. In a separate pan, cook sausage thoroughly.
3. While potatoes and sausage are cooking, chop yellow and red bell peppers and onion. Tear apart baby spinach into quarter sized pieces. This will help the spinach cook down faster.
4. After potatoes have cooked for 5 minutes, add yellow and red bell peppers, onions, spinach and sausage (if done). Cover the mixture and stir occasionally.
5. After your potato, sausage and veggie hash has cooked for about 10 minutes, add the chile powder! Cook for about 5 more minutes, still stirring occasionally and covered!
6. Add salt and pepper if needed! Enjoy!